Thursday, March 15, 2012

the big {eight}.

i have an 8 year old.
for reals.
i wonder when i'll start to believe it?
i mean, i definitely feel older but not old enough to have an 8 year old little girl.
but i'm afraid it's all true - i'm old {grey hair to prove it}and i have an eight year old .
i'm not exactly sure how we got from birth to 8 years old but yet here we are.

we had a small little birthday party for my daughter a couple of weeks ago and with my
mothers surgery, i didn't have much time to put it all together.

{i used store bought invitations and left over material to embellish the envelopes.
confession: i almost forgot to send out invitations. almost.}

however, as thrown together as it was i'm pretty sure my daughter had a blast.
bless her heart, i think all the fun made up for the fact that i didn't have time to make or buy her a cake. 
cakes are way overrated anyways.

there is one thing i've finally figured out about little girls birthday parties.
they don't really care about games.
they want to hang out with each other
and talk
and eat
and just be goofy little girls.
kinda like how us older girls wanna be with our friends, yes?


there is one thing little girls wanna do though..
they want to make something, anything.
especially if it involves pretty paper, stamps and candy sticks.
{did i tell you how cute little 8 year old girls are?}

i had planned on having the girls make little flower headbands
but it just didn't work out. mostly because i forgot the headbands.
so instead they created book marks out of clothes pins.

i pulled out everything i could
possibly think of from my baking drawer and my craft drawers to serve as
embellishments for the girls.
who knew my cupcake liners would come in handy?

******
dear miss j,
i didn't know how much i was going to love being a mother
until you came along.
it wasn't until then that i discovered what He had created me for.
to be a mother, to be your mother.
you inherited your fathers generous and loving heart
and my witty sense of humor {wink}
as well as my love for earrings and shoes.
i know it's not easy being the oldest of this crazy bunch,
but you do it well.
and you, my darling, make me so very happy.

*****

7 comments:

Sarah {the fontenot four} said...

So sweet!! My daughter just turned 8 on Saturday so I'm right there with you wondering when this all happened!! Happy Birthday!

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Happy Birthday to your girl! That party was filled with such beautiful details.

Amy said...

What a sweet little birthday party! I love the doughnut cake and the bookmarks were perfect. I bet she had such a great time with her friends. :)

Anonymous said...

Your letter to Jasmin brought tears to my eyes. Beautiful Flor.

Lisa @ MMT said...

Your daughter is just the cutest! For throwing together a party, I think it looks pretty darn good! Those book marks look so fun! I bet the girls had a great time!

I am amazed at how fast our children grow up! However, I don't think my little boy will ever turn 8! Nope, not happening ;)

Linda Z said...

She is so cute!! Looks like a perfect party. Sometimes, I think we do overdo, when they just want to get together and giggle, like you said. Simple can be so great. :)

Clara Turbay said...

You are doing a great job here, i´ll be back soon.