Sunday, November 13, 2011

pretty things.

I don't remember exactly when I started to like old things.
Old, battered, distressed and beat up looking stuff
or 'junk' as my husband likes to affectionately call my beloved possessions.

Actually, it was my husband that bought me a pair of old table top bird baths for Christmas one year..
and it was then that my love affair with all things chippy and old began.
I'm sure he had no idea what he had just gotten himself into.

I began to go to barn sales, yard sales and estate sales looking for old pieces I could have in my home..
little by little I created a little stash of treasured items.
I am selective on what I bring into my house
because I really don't want to end up on that Hoarders show.
My husband would appreciate it as well.

So last week my sister and I headed to a little barn sale and my heart did it's typical happy dance as soon as I saw all the old stuff just waiting for me.

I restrained myself and came home with just these little pretty things:

small doilys. I'm going to use these for some handmade Christmas gifts this year.

This bread box makes me very happy. The stencil lettering does not.
Soon enough the letters will be gone and maybe a new color? {red?}


small tea plates with gold trim. my very favorite.

old knitted pillow. just love it.

hello, old table table cloths, welcome to your new home.

 we are so happy..

to have you here.

So tell me,
do you think I'm crazy for liking this old stuff or do you like it as well?
And it's ok if you don't like it.. we will still be friends.
I promise :)

Linking up to Life Made Lovely


12 comments:

Michele @ {Primp} said...

I love them too!

Amy said...

You are not crazy, love it all! I'm weird as in I like them but I wouldn't buy them. What I mean is that I like old or retro things but it isn't the style that I have or want for my home. But I can appreciate and do love it, like I said...I'm weird! :)
And I think red for the breadbox is perfect!

Susan said...

The older I get, the more I love anything old. This from someone who couldn't stand it before and who has a mother who lives for it.

Rebecca said...

score! i really like all your finds! the quality & uniqueness of vintage can't be beat!

thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

I love it all! I really love that bird on top of the bread box as well. I think red would be awesome on the bread box!

Linda Z said...

That is a very sweet style! It's fun that you enjoy hunting for old things. :) On Pinterest, I saw a beautiful runner made out of old doilies all sewn together. It was really sweet. :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

nope not crazy :) My grandma's favorite past time is antiquing ... I am a fan of all pretty things! I also love things that are mass produced ;)

Miss Chelsea said...

Oh please! I love love love old stuff

shopfreak said...

such pretty finds! I love lace and crochet and anything dainty, too..

EvA. . . said...

lol your funny! I love it! Looks vintage and vintage is always pretty :)

Cailan said...

Such very lovely finds, Flor. Pretty things like those would certainly all be quite welcome in my home too. :)

jessica said...

I LOVE all these things! Brand new modern looking stuff is way over-rated! All these photos are GORGEOUS! would you mind if I pinned a couple to my pinterest?

-Bailey
http://lostandfound-bailee.blogspot.com