Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I THINK I'M FINALLY GETTIN' IT

Brace yourself. This is big.
I think I've finally begun to understand..
MANUAL MODE
on my camera.

By the way, did you know that my camera has a name?
And she's a girl.
Her name is Lola.
And she has been adopted into this family as my fourth child.
{We just love her}

Moving on.

Well, understanding Lola has been very difficult for me..
and I had to take some classes {and currently still taking them}
but by golly gosh I think were getting somewhere!
Because today, I was able to snap up these pictures of a perfect
Monday afternoon with these two little cuties...

Manual Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f2.2, 1/4000, ISO 200
{we are working on her bubble blowing technique.. she doesn't realize yet that her lips should not be touching the wand and that she should not be spitting into the wand either. baby steps.}

Manual Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f2.2, 1/4000, ISO 200



Manual Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f2.2, 1/4000, ISO 200


Manual Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f2.2, 1/4000, ISO 200

And the cool part is that I actually knew what I was doing when I went into Manual Mode.
I wasn't just guessing this time.

While these pictures are nowhere near perfect as far as the composition and settings
I'm grateful that I got a picture and not just a black picture {as has been my experience in the past}.

I think Lola and I are finally starting to understand each other.

*********************************************************

I'm working on a homework assignment for my photography class.
I have to take pictures of my subject using different viewpoints...
Eye-level, side view, back view, from the top, etc.

First, I had to find a willing subject.
Preferably, a subject that could not see me approaching
{my "subjects" tend to run off when they see me approaching with my camera}
and one that I could bribe with a piece of gum if he let me take pictures of him..




A-Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f1.8, 1/640, ISO 2500

{I had to really restrain myself and not direct him to lay down on the floor. I realize I have control issues.. but luckily he decided it on his own}

A-Mode, Focal Length: 35mm, f1.8, 1/640, ISO 3200

I think I have figured out that my favorite viewpoint is at the subjects level.
Even if I have to get on my stomach to take get the shot, it is well worth it.

And as for the handsome subject who let me take his picture..
he got his piece of gum.

And it wasn't the sugar-free type either :)







1 comment:

Sheila said...

Awesome!! Nanananana, told you it wasn't so scary. ;) Beautiful picts.